Saturday, February 13, 2010

the incredible Clara Hughes




What would you do, if your biggest dream came true?

Clara Hughes is a Canadian Olympic hero. She is one of the few athletes in the world who has won medals in both the winter and the summer game (for speed skating and cycling). One of her greatest moments was when she won Gold in Torino in the 5000 m skate. She skated her heart out, even came from behind. And then, the look on her face after she crossed the line and realized that she had won! JOY! A dream come true.

In her well-deserved Olympic moment, Clara made a pledge that we are all still talking about four years later. She donated $10,000 of her own savings to Right To Play (RTP), a humanitarian organization that builds the self-esteem of children in developing countries through play. Clara challenged individuals and businesses to learn more about RTP and we have. It is estimated that Clara's initial donation inspired more than half a million dollars worth of good will to that great organization.

It was a fateful moment for me. I stood there, tears streaming, humbled and moved that someone would share their Olympic moment that way. In that exact moment, she built up her nation. She lit us up.

It was in and around winter 2006 that I starting thinking about mimiTENS. As I went about creating my little business, Clara and her generosity were also on my mind. But it was last year, when Marina and I were talking about new designs for 09/10, I threw out the idea of making Clara mittens and told her how badly I wanted to support RTP. My kind and talented partner was on board immediately and came up with the excellent images of Clara on her bike and on her skates. Marina also made boy-friendly designs starring triathlete Simon Whitfield and free-style skier Steve Omischl. Our intention was to produce mittens, hats and scarves with these excellent designs and we would give 50% of profits to Right To Play.

When I approached Right To Play drawings in hand, they were so kind and open to our fundraising idea. They sent the designs to Clara who sent an enthusiastic message back. It was a dream come true for me - a thumbs up from one of my heroes.

On Friday night, our Clara led the Canadian Olympic team into BC place for the Opening Ceremonies. She looked so proud and self-possessed.

Today, Clara is competing in the 3000m speed skate in Richmond, BC. I am so nervous for her. I want it so bad for her. I prayed to all the sporting Gods and any deity available. I prayed my best prayer, the one I reserve for very special occasions: "please give me command of the gifts that you have given me. "

And I guess that that is the point of this post, if we make the best use of the gifts that have been given to us, we too, mere mortals, can light people up. Gold medals, mittens, games and fun for children who have had difficult lives.

Thank you forever, Clara Hughes.

Light it up: www.righttoplay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment